There was an error in this gadget

October 6, 2012

Outs

Well, the conference is almost over, waiting for my ride to get done with a driving tour, and then we'll be heading home. I'm by no means someone who enjoys these sorts of things. I like going to the sessions and all that but the 'social' aspect of it isn't my cup of tea. Well, that's not exactly true. I caught up with a former coworker from years back. The last time I talked with him he and his wife had just had their first kid and between then and now they popped out their second. That was kinda cool.

They're sort of basic observations I have every time I come to one of these things but a couple of things stood out to me. The first is how you can tell the difference between consultants and folks working in the public sector. The main difference is in the clothing. The public side seems to wear a lot more khaki than the other guys. I also got a charge out of listening to some kids talk about projects they worked on in school and how they'd do things once they graduated and found a job. It was all I could do to restrain myself from leaning in and totally demolishing their fantasies. I think they'll learn pretty quickly that discovering the 'art of the possible' will temper any aspiration to grandeur they may have.

Now I get to wait while my chauffeur takes a tour around town. She has an iPhone for navigation but I'm not putting much faith in that. Just hoping she doesn't get totally lost cause I really want to go home.

No comments: